Christmas Potato and Umami-Rich Mushroom Dishes!
The perfect side dish to every holiday meal, courtesy of The South African Mushroom Association
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Pesto Mushrooms (Makes 4)
- 4 roasted orange sweet potatoes
The perfect side dish to every holiday meal
- 15ml + 15ml olive oil
- 250g button mushrooms, sliced
- 60ml pesto
- 100g kale, chopped
- 60g soft feta cheese, cubed
- 45g walnuts, toasted
- Salt and milled black pepper
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Place the sweet potatoes onto a baking sheet, drizzle with 15ml olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until tender.
- Heat the remaining 15ml oil in a frying pan. Fry the mushrooms for 3 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and cook for 2 minutes.
- Spoon the mixture between the sweet potatoes and serve with lemon wedges.
Mushroom, Broccolini & Cracked Baby Potato Tray Bake with Garlic Butter (Serves 6)
- 700g-1kg baby potatoes
- 125g butter, melted
- 30ml olive oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- Rind of a small lemon, finely grated
- A generous handful fresh parsley, finely chopped (save half for garnish)
- Salt and pepper
- At least 250g portabellini mushrooms
- 200-300g broccolini spears
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil and cook until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Make the garlic butter drizzle: mix the butter, oil, garlic, lemon rind and parsley in a medium jug or bowl and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Arrange the potatoes in a large oven tray, then use the back of a spoon to gently crack them. Add the mushrooms & broccolini, then drizzle with the butter mixture and season with salt and pepper. Bake in a preheated oven at 220°C for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are golden brown. Scatter with parsley and serve at once.
Mushroom-Stuffed Baked Potatoes (Serves 4)
- 4 large potatoes
- 500g brown mushrooms, sliced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- Handful fresh thyme
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Crème fraîche to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Rub potatoes with olive oil and season with salt. Prick them a few times with a fork and place on a baking tray. Bake in the oven for 60-90 minutes or until tender.
- In a large frying pan add a drizzle of olive oil and the sliced shallots. Once the shallots are tender add the mushrooms. (Cook the mushrooms in batches if necessary so they do not sweat.)
- Season the shallots and mushrooms with salt, pepper and a few sprigs of thyme.
- Finally add the butter and glaze the mushrooms. Remove from the heat.
- Carefully slice open the baked potatoes and squeeze them to create a cavity.
- Divide the mushroom mixture between the potatoes and serve with a dollop of crème fraîche.