APRICOT ROLY POLY PUDDING
This delicious pudding promises to be very popular with the whole family, and you can serve it over and over again. Vary the jam and fruit filling to suit your mood and the occasion.
INGREDIENTS (Serves 6)
Popular with the whole family and you can serve it over and over again!
- 250ml (1 cup) Rhodes Quality Apricot Jam
- 1 x 410g can Rhodes Quality Apricot Halves in Syrup
- 500ml (2 cups) cake flour
- 10ml (2 tsp) baking powder
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 1ml (¼ tsp) salt
- 125ml (½ cup) cold butter, cubed
- 1 extra-large egg
- 125ml (½ cup) milk
- 125ml (½ cup) sugar
- 250ml (1 cup) water
- 10ml (2 tsp) vanilla essence
- Prepare the dough by sifting the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together.
- Rub in half of the butter.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg and milk together and add enough of the mixture to the flour mixture to form a soft, manageable dough. Roll it out on a surface, sprinkled with flour, to form an oblong.
- Spread a layer of Rhodes Quality Apricot Jam evenly over the dough.
- Carefully roll the dough up lengthways and cut into 5 cm thick slices.
- Arrange the slices on the cut sides in a greased oven dish, leaving enough room between the slices so that they can expand and rise.
- Drain the Rhodes Quality Apricots in Syrup and pour the syrup into a small saucepan. Cut the apricots in smaller pieces and stick a piece into the centre of each dough slice.
- Add the rest of the butter, the sugar, the water and the vanilla to the syrup and stir until the sugar has dissolved and the butter has melted then pour over the dough slices.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 40-50 minutes or until the pudding is golden and baked through.
- Serve with custard, cream or ice cream.
BREAD, BUTTER AND JAM PUDDING
A classic and comforting warm pudding, and a budget-friendly way to use less-than-fresh bread.
INGREDIENTS (Serves 6)
- Rhodes Quality Apricot Jam for spreading
- 16 slices white bread
- butter for spreading
- 8 eggs
- 625ml (2½ cups) milk
- 250ml (1 cup) cream
- 250ml (1 cup) brown sugar
- 5ml (1 tsp) cinnamon
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- Make 8 sandwiches by spreading the bread with butter and Rhodes Quality Apricot Jam.
- Trim the crusts and cut into quarters.
- Arrange the sandwiches in a baking dish and set aside.
- Beat the eggs, milk, cream, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg together and pour the mixture over the bread.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the fridge 1 hour before baking.
- Take off the plastic wrap and bake in a preheated oven at 160°C for 30 minutes or until it has risen well and is golden brown.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or custard.
Pear & Ginger Cinnamon Buns
A tasty teatime treat that the whole family will enjoy.
INGREDIENTS (makes 12)
- 1 x 410g can Rhodes Quality Pear Halves, drained and chopped
- 250ml (1 cup) warm water
- 10g (1 sachet) active dry yeast
- 5ml (1 tsp) sugar
- 750ml (3 cups) cake flour
- 5ml (1 tsp) salt
- 15ml (1 Tbsp) canola oil
- 60g (4 Tbsp) butter, softened
- 125ml (½ cup) brown sugar
- 15ml (1 Tbsp) ground cinnamon
- 80g butter
- 200g tub plain cream cheese
- 500ml (2 cups) icing sugar, sifted
- Place the warm water into the bottom of a mixing bowl.
- Add the yeast and the sugar.
- Whisk well and leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Add the oil.
- Add the flour and the salt.
- Bring the mixture to a dough by hand or using the dough hook attachment of a food mixer.
- Knead for ten minutes and form into a ball.
- Cover the dough with damp cloth and leave to stand for 15 minutes.
- Roll the dough out into a rectangle.
- Spread the butter over the top.
- Sprinkle the Rhodes Quality Pear Halves over the dough.
- Mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the pears.
- Roll up along the long edge.
- Slice into 12 even slices.
- Place each roll on a baking sheet that has been lined with baking paper.
- Bake the rolls in an oven preheated to 180°C for 12-15 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- To make the icing, cream the butter until pale and creamy.
- Add the cream cheese and beat until combined.
- Spread the icing over the cinnamon pear rolls and serve warm.
Follow @rhodesquality for more tips and recipes or visit: www.rhodesquality.com