Pumpkin Fritters with Caramel Sauce
Indulge your taste buds with this savoury-meets-sweet combination. The well-loved South African recipe uses pumpkin that is fried and then drenched in salted caramel sauce. Pumpkin fritters are best served warm so make sure that you try to eat them hot off the griddle.
For the fritters:
1 cup cooked, drained and pureéd pumpkin
1 cup cake flour
10ml baking powder
30ml caster sugar
Sunfoil sunflower oil, for deep frying
For the caramel sauce:
¾ cup sugar
1 cup cream
5ml vanilla extract
60ml Sunshine D Original margarine brick
½ cup golden syrup
5ml sea salt flakes
1. Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix until you have a smooth batter.
2. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan and fry spoonfuls of the batter, in batches, until golden brown and cooked through, approximately 2-3 minutes.
3. Use a slotted spoon to remove the fritters from the oil and allow to drain well on kitchen paper. Repeat, until all the fritters are cooked and keep warm.
Salted Caramel Sauce:
1. Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and allow to cook over a medium heat for 10-15 minutes until the sauce is thick and glossy.
2. Pour the syrup over the warm fritters and serve at once.
Turmeric, Ginger and Buttermilk Marinade for Chicken
This recipe is a bold combination of distinct flavours that makes it perfect for those who enjoy a tangy chicken dish. Enhance the taste of your marinade by leaving it refrigerated overnight before cooking. Trust us – the result is worth the wait!
125ml Sunfoil sunflower oil
15ml lemon juice
5ml Dijon mustard
5ml ground turmeric
5ml crushed garlic
15ml fresh ginger, finely grated
5ml milled black pepper
1. Place all the marinade ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend until well combined.
2. Place the chicken in a non-metallic container and cover, turning to coat each piece with the marinade.
3. Cover and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
4. When ready to cook, remove chicken pieces from the marinade and cook on a hot grill or braai or bake in the oven.
5. Season with salt and pepper and serve with lemon wedges to squeeze over the chicken pieces.
Salt and milled black pepper
A bowl of Allsome long grain parboiled rice
Indulge your taste buds with this savoury-meets-sweet combination.
Condensed Milk Tart
Simple to make, and a firm favourite, this recipe is in the Clover South African Food Favourites cookbook, which is filled with great, wholesome and truly South African recipes.
100g (1⁄5 block) Clover Farmstyle butter
125ml (½ cup) caster sugar
185ml (¾ cup) cake flour
5ml (1tsp) baking powder
pinch of salt
385g (1 tin) CLOVER condensed milk
3 condensed-milk tins full of water
125ml (½ cup) cornflour
2.5ml (½ tsp) salt
4 eggs, separated
15ml (1Tbsp) Clover Farmstyle butter
5ml (1tsp) vanilla essence